Artist-educators; artists; art teachers, community and environmental artists, artist-educators, or researchers are all welcome to join our Society. InSEA was established in 1954, is concerned with all apsects of education through art and supporting art for all. Our members work together to share experience, improve practice and strengthen the position of art in both formal (schools, colleges, universities) and informal (community-based), educational settings. We look forward to welcoming you to the global community of art educators. If you have questions about membership please contact: treasurer.insea[at]gmail.com.
a. Professional (individual) members include all those involved in education through art, for example, Artist-educators; artists; art teachers, community and environmental artists, artist-educators or researchers.
b. Organisations or institutions broadly concerned with art and/or education may apply for membership of InSEA. Membership may be granted to organisations and institutions that meet the requirements stated in the InSEA Constitution and By Laws.
Please note the special conditions that apply to Organisation members. Organisation membership will only be granted once the organisation or institution is affiliated to InSEA.
c. Student members include, for example, those completing studies in teacher education or studying art and/or art education (student membership is for one year).
In addition to the three membership categories, we offer an affiliate programme. Any art education professional or scientific society or association with similar aims can apply to become an Affiliated Organisation of InSEA. Affiliation with InSEA is a form of cooperation.
Please note that individual members of affiliate organisations do not automatically become members of InSEA.
- A: Professional members
- B: Organisation members
- C: Student members
- Members' e-news (10 per year); I-MAG (3 per year) and can nominate candidates for InSEA Awards;
- Full access to InSEA members' area of the website.
- Discounts at InSEA events;
- Full access to the InTernational Journal of Education through Art online (3 per year)and all issues of IJEtA on-line. Members can also claim 50% discount on IjEtA hard copy by cintacting the publisher
- Full access to members' area – web; Listing on professional members' interest database;
- Minimum 15% discount on endorsed publications;
- Right to stand for election to World Council; attend general assembly; Exercise one vote in any InSEA election and in the General Assembly of InSEA (see constitution for guidance); Eligible for election to one of the InSEA boards.
- The right to apply to publish with InSEA
- Right to apply for endorsement of publications, congresses, events or exhibitions; Eligible to serve on InSEA Working Groups and juries;
- Right to apply for InSEA Doctoral research award
- Right to apply for InSEA Research excellence award
- Right to apply for InSEA Praxis excellence award
- Members' e-news (10 per year); I-MAG (3 per year); IJEtA online (3 per year); 50% discount on IjEtA hard copy; discounts on InSEA events
- Representing the Organization at InSEA world congresses (using the login of the Organization to register)
- Participation in the respective InSEA Regional Council meetings
- Nominating candidates for InSEA Awards
- Use of the InSEA logo (InSEA Organisational member);
- Full access to InSEA members' area of the website.
- Listing on InSEA Organizations database
- Minimum 15% discount on endorsed publications
- Right to stand for election to World Council; attend the General Assembly and exercise one or two votes in any InSEA election and in the General Assembly of InSEA (see constitution for guidance).
- Right to stand for election to InSEA Boards. Eligible to publish with InSEA
- Right to apply for endorsement of publications/ congresses, events, exhibitions-
- May serve on InSEA Working Groups and juries-
- Right to apply for InSEA Doctoral research award or InSEA Research Excellence award-
- Right to stand for election to InSEA Regional Council Boards
- Can have events and publications endorsed.
- Can organise InSEA events.
- Can apply to publish with InSEA publications.
- Please note organisational membership does not confer InSEA professional membership to individual members of organisations.
- A resource-rich Website avialable in different languages.
- A searchable membership PORTAL where members can locate art teachers from all around the world. Many InSEA members welcome collaborations and educational interchanges with other InSEA members.
- A regular Members' e-newsletter. With the most up to date information about art education news and in which members can promote events and share information.
- An E-Journal (IMAG) with information about art education projects linking research and practice where InSEA members can publish and advertise events and information using visual media.
- Free access to the on-line International Journal for Education through Art (IJETA), an internationally renowned journal about art education. Members are also entitled to 50% discount on the price of hard copies of the journal.
- Access to annual regional CONGRESSES and biannual world congresses representing all regions of the world.
- E-publications: where members can download E-publications for free or with InSEA discounts and propose their own E-publication project.
- Political efforts to keep art education on the agenda of policymakers with support letters; white papers, joint advocacy papers, etc.
- Discounts on InSEA endorsed events, congresses, conferences and symposia.
- Discounts on InSEA endorsed publications.
- Assistance to publish books and catalogues mainly in electronic forms.
- A World Congress during which members come together to share insights and build stronger networks. Between world congresses, InSEA members are invited to Regional Congresses held in several countries around the world.
- InSEA awards for outstanding art educators (five special awards made at each World Congress). These awards are the Sir Herbert Read Award, the Mahmoud El-Bassiouny Award; the Edwin Ziegfeld Award, InSEA Award for Excellence in Research in Education through Art and The doctoral research Award. Award recipients are nominated by their peers and fellow members.
Note: The World Councillors of your Region can help you in the registration process. Please see here the list of Councillors per region.